Welcome to the Smith-Zimmermann Heritage Museum
2014 Brown Bag Series - "Growing in Madison"
|March 27||It's spring! lets grow!||Ted LeFleur|
|April 3||Make Your bed...But don't have to sleep in it||Gary Zay|
|April 10||See how we've grown - Madison Hospital||Carol Kleibacker|
|April 17||We're going to pot - container gardening||Rene' Brunner|
The Lake County Historical Society encourages you to become a member. Membership dues are $15.00 per year. Any additional donations or contributions are most welcome. The LCHS relies on membership dues and donations to financially support the Smith-Zimmermann Museum. Click here for the membership form that you can complete to become a member and start receiving the quarterly newsletter.
Looking for a gift? The Lake County Historical Society is selling cookbooks for $15 (add $3 for shipping). Proceeds go to the Museum. The book contains 270 recipes in 8 categories from Museum friends and older books from our collection. There is a limited number, so hurry while supplies last! Call 605-256-5308 to reserve yours today.
The Lake County Historical Society has been established to collect, document, preserve, secure, research, exhibit, and interpret objects of cultural, developmental, and historical value of the Lake County area from the mid-1800s to the present.
Open 12:00 to 4:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday and for special programs.
To arrange for a meeting place or for an appointment call 605-256-5308.
Location: 221 NE 8th Street, Madison, SD
From Egan Avenue it is the third building east of the Karl Mundt Library.
Programs & Activities
Programs are Advertised
In the locals column of the Madison Daily Leader
If your group is looking for a place to meet anytime throughout the year, please consider the Museum. You'll have interesting, historical surroundings and there is no charge. It's an ideal location for a Christmas party as it will already be decorated for the Holidays.
Most of these programs are held on a weekday during the noon hour. Visitors may bring a brown bag lunch. Thereby the name!
The programs focus on local history, early settlers, and ethnic groups in this area, the involvement of local residents in the military during both war and peace, highlights of our Indian culture, care for antiques and quilts, and how to display photographs, and many more.
Materials Available for Purchase
- 1890 Sentinel $3.00
- Dakota Central Phone Book $3.00
- Early History of Lake Madison Chautauqua $7.00
- Early History of Lake County $8.00
- Forty Years of General Beadle $10.00
- History of Lake Madison Chautauqua Association $3.00
- History of Trinity Lutheran Church $3.00
- History of Our County and State $10.00
- Historic Homes of Madison 75 cents
- Historical Sketch of Lake County $4.00
- Lake County Heritage $2.00
- Lake County Directory $10.00
- Prairie Chautauqua $9.00
- Pioneer Days in Lake County $18.00
- Place Names of Lake County $5.00
- Pioneer Stories of Lake County $5.00
- SD’s Pioneer Philanthropists Zimmermann Sisters $2.00
- William Arneson Writings $5.00